Thursday, October 16, 2008

Mommy Habit

My dear friend Mrs. Judie gave me several (5 or 6) long, linen Mommy dresses (from the 90's).
I think Oprah called them Mommy Mall dresses. They have no waist and are full length. I wouldn't say they "do" anything for my figure.. but I am not all that thrilled with my figure anyway. I wasn't sure at first if I was going to keep them. I thought my teenage daughter would have a fit. She loves What Not to Wear and I know Staci and Clinton would throw them out!
I wasn't even sure my mom would like them... but here is the deal, they are VERY comfortable.

These dresses have no tight fitting waist to bother me. I have always loved dresses, particularly long ones. In the winter I can put a long sleeve t-shirt underneath and warm wooly socks. In the summer I could wear them with sandals. So... I thought, I would try them out and see how people reacted.

The first one was plaid. My mom and Bekah both hated it. Brian was okay. He likes me in a dress... even a big sack of one. Okay... I tried another one on. It is a slightly different style.. still big and sort of sacklike but no one screamed in terror. Today I tried a third and again.. not so bad.

Why am I wearing these dresses??? Well... it is more than mere comfort. Like I said , I have always liked long dresses and so I feel very feminine in them. I struggled for a moment with the fact that they are somewhat out of style.. but, we are a society that screams, "Go GREEN!" We are supposed to recycle and reuse! Jut not when it comes to fashion. Does that strike anyone else as a contradiction?? I am supposed to buy a NEW, GREEN t-shirt made from hemp or organic cotton (or whatever type of clothing). How about wearing the ones I already own?? These dresses are linen and they are in excellent condition. There is still much life in them.
I could give them to good will for someone else to buy and wear... or... just wear them myself.

Here is the other factor. My sister-in-law is a Sister. She is a Dominican Sister in Nashville. She wears a full habit all of the time. It is the clothing of her order. The sisters wear habits because each piece is symbolic somehow. They also wear habits to be recognizable and also to make things simple. I have been testing the idea that these dresses are somehow a Mommy habit. I don't have to think about what to wear or how I look. Those of you who know me (and all of you who are reading this do) know that I usually wear capris and a t-shirt. A few years ago my "mommy habit" was overalls and shirts. Before that jeans and t-shirts. I even had a year where I only got out of flannel pants for church. (Not particularly proud of that.. but that is where I was at that time.. so... ) I love the idea of being a "put together" mom. I don't always pull that off although I think I have been doing better lately. Still... even my former priest told me I was frumpy. I don't want to wear the dresses to BE frumpy... I just really like them. I like the way they feel and I somehow like the idea of them. I like the idea of a mommy habit.. and the fact is.. my jeans just aren't so comfortable these days.

This doesn't mean you will only see me in a long dress... but, the fact is.. you might see me in one. At first I promised to only wear them around the house. I have since worn them (gasp) to town. This could be a fad with me.. or it could last. The good news is that I AM trying to fix my hair and wear a little make-up and jewelry. (that helps with the "put together" part.)

So, now you know the story. When you see me and wonder... why on earth is she wearing that?? You will know. I am just in my "habit".

7 comments:

Lynn said...

Yes, I like your habits also. I wish they were a "fad" b/c I think I would like them also for comfort. I don't know b/c I've never worn anything like that! The only thing wrong---maybe wrong is the wrong word----is that you can't see that you really do have a figure. :-)

Today was fun. I love spending time with you......

Sylvia said...

A while back I wore a baby doll shirt and went out to get a pedicure. The Asian lady at the nail place says to me "OHHH, you make a baby -- sit down, rest, make cutie baby grow big!"
I went right home and put that shirt in the give away box! :) Maybe that just isn't the style for me. :)
What kind of "habit" would you call sweat pants??

Milk & Cookie Party said...

Hmmm... interesting. I could totally get into a long, non-clingy dress. And I have many times before. My weight has ebbed and flowed for so long that my wardrobe is more inclined to things with shape. Not tight clingy but the cut is so. I guess as we approach that exciting big birthday number, I kind of see it as a point to figure how I see myself and the image I want to present. If you are comfortable (#1) and feel good about yourself, enjoy the dresses. I agree in keeping them and enjoying them. Why not? I do wish overalls would come back in style. Had many, many pairs.

Love the design! Very, very cute. Electronic paper design. Sounds right up your alley!

Trish said...

I hear you! I once read in Readers' Digest of a woman who felt convicted by all the money she spent, the time she spent agonizing over what to wear, and all the waste. So, she made 5 dresses, all exactly the same, and got rid of all her clothes. I think about that story often. It's embarassing how much emphasis we as a culture place on how people look and what they wear. It's become a "god".

Lynn said...

Hi---am showing aunt Debbie your blog.

Milk & Cookie Party said...

Hey- I had to laugh as I just "got" something you said. On my blog you said "no strings" like no strings attached. Actually, Josiah has a fascination with string and Grace didn't want it in her spa. I didn't know what you were talking about and it just hit me. I hope you see the humor in my ramblings.

Love you!!

Joyous said...

Happy Birthday!