Sunday, October 12, 2008

I did it

I did it. I just got in my car and drove to Tontitown yesterday. I didn't panic and I didn't once think, " I can't do this." I DID make sure that I had a good place to turn left (at a light). I did park in the " wrong", meaning further away, parking lot because that was where I came in by turning at the light, but still... I did it.

Why, you may ask, is this a big deal?? Because I hate to drive. I have never liked it. I was the odd teenager who didn't really want to drive. I drove my little brother around only until he could drive and then he drove me. I didn't have a car at college (and I was okay with that.) Brian drove a standard and I only drove it twice the entire time he owned it!

When we moved here to Siloam I knew I would have to drive. Brian got me a minivan and it sat in the driveway for at least a week before I even got in. I said, "Thanks honey, but who is going to drive it?"

Now, I drive a big ole' honkin' suburban. It is huge... and I do alright. Especially around town.
Still... the kids will tell you.. I have been know to drive out of my way to make a right turn instead of turning left. Also, until recently, I hadn't driven to Springdale. I now can drive to the Jones Center and back. (wahoo!) I haven't yet tackled Fayetteville or Rogers though. I did drive to Bentonville once when I was on Jury duty.

So... why then, for a girl who hates to drive so much, do I find myself in the car so often?? FOUR KIDS. Need I say more?
Still, Trish gets the prize because she is out and about several times a day to take her kiddos to band. Bless you Trish.

No comments: