Wednesday, January 23, 2008

What are we called to do?

In Siloam they call it ministry. Whatever your area of volunteer work is really a type of ministry.
In the Catholic church they call it a vocation. With all groups there is much talk about what you are CALLED to do. What are we CALLED to do???

I am not really sure. I know that I love kids. I love my own kids. I love all kids really. I really love to teach. Is this my calling??? I am a pretty decent story lady. I can run a good VBS. (with my friend Joy) I was not so great at administration though. I was running our entire religious ed program for a while and to tell you the truth I HATED the paperwork. I can do it... but I don't like to do it and so I didn't enjoy it and I didn't do it all that well. I believe that supporting your staff is important and I hope I did that.. but there were many things that were less than perfect under my direction.

Right now I am the Youth Director of our parish. I don't think this is my CALLING. Why??
Well... because the kids drive me nuts. The same kids that I profess to love.. and really they are great kids but they drive me crazy. I feel OBLIGATED to continue because up til now no one has shown even the slightest interest in keeping out group going. That can't be a calling then can it??

What is your calling?? your passion?? though I don't think the two are necessarily the same unless I am performing some type of ministry by reading and stamping.. ha ha! That (reading and stamping) are my passions and teaching and learning too. I am really lucky that I get to do that with my kids.
My kids... I think that is my calling. Raising these four wonderful beings that God has blessed me with. Pray that I will have the wisdom and patience to guide them and help them to be the people God intends them to be. Hopefully, by doing that, I am becoming who HE wants me to be too.


4 comments:

Milk & Cookie Party said...

I definitely think your children's education (and everything else) is your calling. All mothers have this calling- some are more serious about it than others. Passion- I think that is something that is different than your calling. Passion is about you and your abilities and what you would do outside of your family. It's what makes your heart sing, what you could do for hours and it feel like minutes, what you think about when your mind wanders, what you doodle about, it's what dwells somewhere in your heart in addition to your mind. It stirs you. Color, texture, creating, design is mine. It floats my boat and is my reprieve when I need a break. Everyone should have a passion and discover their calling.

So do you want my opinion on every post? I can shut up but I love to talk with you!

Love,
Ann

Loveandadoor said...

Yes dear friend... I would love your comment on every post. Love to chat with you anytime. This may have to be our chat over coffee for now!

I agree whole heartedly with you on the difference between calling and passion. Luckily I think I have some overlap.... books and learning are my calling and passion... but I definitely have a passion for paper and stamping and creating too.

Youth group IS NOT my calling or passion and I think I may be letting that go at the end of the year so that someone who does have a passion for it... can really do great things with those kids.

Talk to you soon,
Sherri

Joyous said...

Your calling (vocation) is most definitely raising your kids and being a wife! It's mine too but that doesn't mean that's all we have to be but I think that, for me at least, it's when I'm most fulfilled when I'm doing my best in those areas first.

Love your blog! You're doing a great job with Youth Group and I know it's really frustrating for you but it's a valued thing that you are doing. Look at how many kids are there!! WOW. It's ok though to let it go because it's too much. It would be great to have a Youth group, maybe we should do like our separated brethren and pray for God to fill that spot!

Joyous said...

Okay, apparently I'm not very good at proofing what I write before I hit publish.

In case it came out wrong:
You're doing a great job.

You don't need to feel obligated to keep doing it for any reason (other than conscience!)

If you decide to stop, hopefully someone else will jump in, if not, that doesn't mean everything has to be done by you. :)

That better?