Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Juggling Act

Hi... It is extremely late and I promised Brian that I would be right there... but here I sit typing out my latest thoughts to you. I was finishing up in the kitchen after making my supper for tomorrow night as I have a fun day planned for tomorrow. A sensible me would have started much earlier. A sensible me wouldn't have spent a day reading (even though it was a good book and I DO need to have it read by Friday for discussion with my Phi's group.) A sensible me would have a routine and would do a better job getting things done. Where or where is the sensible me??

The Super Nanny solves almost every problem with a routine (and a naughty spot). But what I need is a routine. (See my blog on Goals for this year). I know what I NEED to do. So why then, it is so hard to get it done.

Things I need to do:

1. Go to bed on time and get up on time (sounds like something from Nanny McPhee)
2. Exercise (EVERY DAY -not when the mood strikes as it NEVER DOES)
3. Clean a little everyday and not let things pile up
4. Do a little laundry every day and not let things pile up
5. Teach the children
6. Read ahead all of the books that my children are reading so we can discuss them
7. Prepare lessons for the children
8. Provide healthy, well balanced, nutritionally sound meals for my family
9. Be a loving and supportive wife
10. Volunteer at my church

What I DO
1. Stay up too late trying to do all of the things I think I need to do so that I am unable to get up early.
2. Think that I NEED to exercise every day but then talk myself out of it every morning because I am too tired
3. I do clean a little everyday... but just enough to hold back the tide... the kids help and yet the dust bunnies still manage to invade. Too much stuff is partly to blame... but so am I
4. I start laundry all of the time... but then I forget to switch it over... I tend to let it go a day or two and then I have 4 loads (or nine) instead of two.
5. I do teach the children... we do okay... but not in a structured public school kind of way. I am still coming to terms with this
6. I read what I can... skim some and some I just let them tell me... Hey... they are good readers and they outnumber me!
7. Plan lessons??? okay... some, but not nearly enough. I pick GREAT books and use them, then I go with the teachable moment too.
8. ha.. I remember what vegetables are...I REALLY need to make changes here
9. I love... I support.. but I don't get up with him in the morning because I am here with YOU
10. I do volunteer at church... also discussed in another blog... I think I will be cutting back even more for a while.


I can do one or two things okay for a while... then something slides. If we are really doing well with school and the house... then the laundry goes and we eat what we can forage. (I must say... I am quite adept at making a meal out of not much..) Or... if I am really cooking and keeping up with laundry, then something else goes. I can't seem to keep all of the balls in the air.

My sweet mother-in-law would say to let the house go... and sometimes I do.. but the mess drives me insane. I also have somewhat self destructive tendencies in my staying up late to fit in my "me time" activities... blogging, stamping and reading. When I do that...like now.. I will pay for it in the morning.

I lack self discipline. Navy seals have self discipline... I do not. Please tell me others of you struggle with this too. Brian is so good. I am a mess.

Still... I think I can be better. Where there is a will... and all that. So... I plan to make a better plan. My kids have picked up on this too. Bekah has called me on this more than once.. my plan making does not impress her. In fact it somewhat disgusts her I think... still, she is no Navy seal herself. Brian also laughs at my lists... but they work for me and I DO accomplish some of them.
I am definitely a glass half full kind of girl.

Right now I am more than half full.... of a few extra pounds. Weight loss is definitely something I need to do too... but that will have to wait (weight) for another day.

3 comments:

Milk & Cookie Party said...

Ok, dearest bestest friend.
First you can drive yourself nuts this way. You are an exceptional mother, wife, daughter, and friend. Let's begin there. There will always be someone who is worse and better than you in all of this. But, when the children are grown, their memories of their childhood will be what you want. You will remember every detail that bothers you but they will remember how much you love them and all you do for them because you love them. Remember that and don't sweat the other things so much. Regarding cleaning daily- good luck. Declare one day to get really on top of stuff and then push back the tide on the others. Make your plan on that day and lose the guilt on the others. Laundry- never ending moutain. Wash your guilt with it. Unless we turn into nudists, it's always there. Education- you are superb in it all. Leave the guilt at the door and embrace your strength. You time- hey, you need it now and then. Yes, we pay for it but we would still pay if we didn't carve it out here and there. Blogging is a sanity saver. Gotta run. So much to do today and need to get started.
You are a huge blessing to me and I know all the other people who have you in their lives. Be kind to you!

Love you!

Ann

Lynn said...

Ditto to what your dear friend Ann says. She is right on. Listen to her. Read it again. You are a fantastic (!) daughter even tho I was not on your list. haha. I really think she (Ann) hit it right on the head. Plus, you want your kids to have good memories of you "smiling" once in awhile, and not always frowning with worry about all the things you are not getting done. The truth of the matter is---You CAN'T do it all, and you won't. Be happy with every little success. Your children are blessed by you. So am I. Love Ya!!

Joyous said...

You only have to look at your kids to see what a good job you're doing. They're happy (and teenager-moodiness doesn't count against you) and thoughtful and just all around good kids.

I'd post a picture of my pit of a house to make you feel better but I'm too embarrassed. I thought about writing a post myself about all my horrible failings to make you feel better but...I'm too embarrassed. That should say something.

This Lent is a turning point. Time to focus on God and husband and kids first before all other commitments. That's my mantra this Lent and hopefully for the rest of my life.

You're awesome. Smart and together. Creative and determined. I'm glad we're friends. Keep your chin up.

btw, I had a great time yesterday! We didn't make another date...the moms are waiting on us. :)