Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Technology

I watched a program on T.V. tonight about modern technology and its effects on our children. The article warned the public about myspace and facebook and about how our children are spending too much time on the computer. The reporters discussed how easy it is for kids to cheat now and explained the dangers of cyber bullies.

I don't disagree with the article. I can very easily see the dangers that are present. In fact, I plan to watch even more closely what my kids do online. I also want to continue to limit their online and computer time in general. They already have to earn their time... but I have let it slide a little.

No, my question is?? what about me? Is my blogging the same thing? True, this is a more passive pursuit. Me reading blogs is just reading, right?? but composing a blog? Isn't this like a myspace account?? I can tell all about myself and post pictures etc... is there a difference?

Is there a difference?? I am trying to discern. Well, for one thing, I am not open to the public. In fact, as of this writing, only one person has the address to this blog... Hi Ann! Up til now I have been writing with the sole purpose of writing just for me. I am going to give out the address to a few friends and they will be able to read, if they choose to, my rambling thoughts. They can look at pictures. However, I am not seeking new friends through my blog and that does seem to be a real purpose for the other type of accounts.

What was extremely concerning to me was the type of pictures that these kids were posting (very provacative and in states of semi- undress) Certainly you won't see that on my blog!
The article went on to discuss the amount of time the students were spending online. I do have a life and much to do, but I do know I can easily get lost online reading my favorites and writing my own blog.

What interesting food for thought. Blogging vs. my space... moms and kids. All good or all bad or somewhere in between. It is late and I must close but I will continue to ponder this topic.
Sherri



1 comment:

Milk & Cookie Party said...

I agree, Sher. Our computer is in the family area and will NEVER be in a bedroom where the kids can roam freely into the cyber unknown. I do question my own issues with the web. I check my email far too much and wonder how I would do if the computer were down for say.. a month. Would I have withdrawals? My desire with my blog is to share our life with family and friends that I don't visit with often enough. My parents, mother in law, sister in law- NY, and you and a couple of other folks read my blog, but that's about it. Thanks for sharing yours. Do you find it theraputic to write your thoughts and share photos? I do a bit. It's an odd world we live in. After all, computers were an elective when we were in high school! An elective! Who knew that these computers would take over... because we let them. Off to get ready for my day! Love you bunches, Sweet Friend.

Ann