Tuesday, July 15, 2008

BLACKBERRIES

Well, yesterday morning I went Blackberry picking with a friend. Now this is not the picking I remember as a child. As a child we would pick wild blackberries which, quite frankly, you really have to work for. The bushes are very scratchy and prickly and you have to wear long sleeves in the middle of the summer to protect your arms. Still, we would pack a lunch and make a day of it and then, if we had time, we would go by the falls on the way home and get wet in our clothes! (as somehow it was never a planned activity and we never had our swimsuits)

Next we would go home and stay up late cleaning and preparing the berries to be canned. Nothing is better than canned blackberries (which is basically berries in syrup). On a cold Michigan morning, it was such a treat to be able to get a jar of blackberries to eat. We would have a bowl of blackberries and toast. They are WONDERFUL and are something I remember so well from my childhood.

So, when Rebekah called yesterday and asked if I wanted to go picking I didn't hesitate for too long. We went out to Taylor Orchards. This is how EASY it was. We drove right up to the bushes that are heavily laden with luscious berries and they practically fell into our buckets. No thorns, no scratches. In a little over an hour we had picked 24 pints of berries. AMAZING.

Today I will make freezer jam. I found the recipe to can them like we did when I was young, but as I had to PAY for these berries I am not sure I can afford to set myself up to can too. (Jars, lids, a canner or whatever that big pot is called). Still, it should be fun (to make the jam), it WAS fun (to pick them and EAT them. I probably ate a pint while I picked) and I am so thankful for the opportunity.

6 comments:

Jerri Dalrymple said...

I have 40 acres overflowing with wild blackberry bushes. We wait until a cool evening, then don our jeans and long sleeves and head out. There is more than we could pick in 3 summers, but it is the old fashioned, lots of work way! :0) You way sounds much easier, but I can't walk away from free! I'm too frugal I suppose, (my husband says just plain cheap, LOL!).

Loveandadoor said...

I WOULD pick free anyday. I didn't realize the picking would be so easy yesterday and had my longsleeves on!
It was easy and I am thrilled to have the berries, but I too am frugal and as much fun as it was... the old fashioned way is much better!

Milk & Cookie Party said...

That sounds like the best time!!! Oh, Grace and I would love to have been there. She's the ultimate "picker" as she's secretly an aspiring grape picker. You name it and we'll pick it- don't let your mind run with that. Would love to try your freezer jam. What a fun treat and memory of summer.

Joyous said...

All right, time for more blogging! :)
Yes, I know, Kettle you're looking mighty black today.

Lynn said...

I'm glad you went berry-picking. Our "old" way was harder---but really FUN! I'll never forget you staying up til 2 a.m. helping me can blackberries when you were so small. And you were a good helper too. You still are! Hugs & Kisses

Milk & Cookie Party said...

Sher-

Need to blog, Sister!

Love you!

Ann