Monday, March 02, 2009

Can you read my mind??

Okay.. here is the deal... my family and I are really connected. I mean REALLY connected. "Whatever do you mean, Sherri?" Well.. when I think something.. one of my kids or my hubby will say it out loud. Coincidence?? perhaps.. but it happens ALL THE TIME.

Example one: Brian and I were at Lowe's the other day looking for flooring for the bathroom. Anyone who has ever shopped with Brian know how truly excruciating this can be. He loves to shop.. and compare.. and shop and then go home and think about it and shop again.. arrgh!
I was tired. I wanted to go home. I didn't care what kind of floor we chose. Standing there in Lowe's I looked up at my all too cute man and said," Honey, you know what I think?" and he replied.."That I am getting kind of gray." Bingo. I had been looking at him under the fluorescent lights and thought that very sentence. We were not talking about hair or getting old and yet he said exactly what I thought.

Example two: During English today we were doing some of our exercises out loud. The girls were supposed to come up with more descriptive nouns. The answer key of course said that answers would vary. I was looking at the book and thinking the specific words that were listed. The girls named almost all of them. (they got other answers too.. but they mentioned almost every single one listed in the book. coincidence? perhaps..) However, there are a lot of possible variations for some of these words.. but my girlies got almost all of them!

Example three: When Caleb was little (two and a half or three) he was sitting on my lap as I paid some bills at the computer. I was frantically searching for a Discover statement. I didn't say this out loud. He looked at me and calmly asked if I was looking for Discover. How could he know? He was too little to even know what Discover is.

This happens daily at my house. I can also "do" this with my mom and my older brother. (you should see us play pictionary...Mom and I are awesome... we barely have to draw anything )For Brian it works best if he is near me. John...(my brother) well, we have always been "in tune".
He is especially close with my Katie.. she was born on his birthday (something he predicted even though I wasn't due until 12 days AFTER his birthday). When he sends gifts for her birthday he will often have it in paper that coordinates with the theme I have chosen even though we haven't discussed it. He got her a monkey the year she had a monkey party.. again without discussing it.
(He lives in Montana.)

When I read back over this is sounds a bit trivial but if you could just realize how often it happens. Does this happen to any of you? Please tell me it does.

In case you are wondering.. I haven't noticed that this happens with other people. Just my family. Weird?? but kiind of cool too.

5 comments:

Lynn said...

Well yes....it does happen with my family too. :-) My mom was the BEST "receptor" when we played cards. She chose the card I thought of waaaaaaay too many times for it to be a coincidence. Dean could do this with her also. My Dad was totally closed.

And of course I can do it with you and John. Even Jamie sometimes. But not your Dad. Maybe b/c he's not a blood relative to me, or we just aren't tuned in? I don't know. I can also do it with my sister Pam.

I think probably everybody has this ability, but some are just more "tuned in" and you are definitly one of those people. My Grandma (from Russia) was extraordinary at this also. Runs in the family......

Milk & Cookie Party said...

Me thinks.... me thinks... well, friend, I do think it's more you than "normal" for whatever that is. I think you are very family focused and you are with your children probably more than lots of folks. And you communicate well. Words are your gift- written and verbal. I think family is in tune with each other naturally than non-blood related. Brian- well, he's always the exception! Does it happen at our house? I haven't noticed it enough to be aware of it. David and I can get pretty in synch at times. Grace- oh, you know, if I say black she says white right now. So, in synch we are not! Boy- yep, but we really get each other. I think it's mostly you. I've always thought you were the Sun at your house. You say you aren't a strong personality but you are in a very loving way.

There that's my 20 cents! (inflation)

Wendy said...

Ha!! I've heard of other families being like this. In fact, I've been known to do this with my Dad before. And occasionally with my dear goofball husband, but my kids... they just look at me like I'm weird sometimes. We're just not always in sync!

Sylvia said...

Before I started making cards...my Mom and I would alot of times get the same cards for events such as baby showers and wedding showers. She says she is glad now I make my cards because she and I won't duplicate anymore! :)
My sisters and I finish each others sentences all the time! Not really the same but close.

Lynn said...

WEll once again. You bought pink plates and napkins w/o consulting me for book club. And of course out of all the 25-30 table clothes I own, I brought the lone pink one! Ha-Ha!