Friday, February 20, 2009

the rest of the list

Well, it seems that writing that much about ME wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. Still, in an attempt to finish what I have started, I will try to finish my list.

14. I worry.. way too much about everything. I need to let this go. My mom says worry is a lack of faith. Ouch! That is an eye opening statement... I certainly DO trust in God and therefore need not worry. I have that in my heart.. but still I tend to think too much. I am working on it though.

15. Worry's best friend is obsessiveness. I tend to obsess over some things. If I think of something late at night.. I have to get out of bed and go find said item. Since high school my OCD tick has been to check my curling iron (then) flat iron (now) to see if I turned it off. I can't tell you how many times I have come back home or just back into the house to check and make sure that I actually DID turn off the flat iron. I once left for Little Rock and actually had a neighbor come and check to be sure I had turned it off. Those of you who knew me in high school will remember I suffered from this affliction then too and know that my brother John and then boyfriend would actually check (or in retrospect.. at least tell me they checked) to make sure I had indeed unplugged said electrical appliance. ARRRGH. It is exasperating but not something I can help. I feel compelled to check because I am fearful of burning down the house. I once took a personality quiz that said I was obsessive and I spent the rest of the night obsessing about the thought that I was obsessive. Let it go man... let it go.

16. Onions. I love onions and although my Aunt will tell you that I eat them like an apple that is not totally true. I do like them raw but I eat them in layers not just a bite into it like an apple. I also don't consume a whole onion at a time. But.. when I am cooking and chopping them, I do eat them plain. I prefer vidalia's but have been known to eat or at least try just about any variety.
It is a good thing Brian will eat them too...

17. When I was in the 7th grade I got an award for Wood shop and I never even completed a project. I did, however, ace every test. At the end of the year, I got an award (much to my embarrassment!) My brother, who also took the class, did a much better job but had slightly lower test scores and did not get an award.. he should have.

18. In the eighth grade I got an award for "flying" the flight simulator. I lived in Bossier City, Louisiana and Barksdale Air Force Base is right there. People from the base brought a flight simulator around to local jr. high schools and eighth grade students took lessons and got to have a solo flight. I did really well. I even got my picture in the paper.
So there you go.. one award I didn't really deserve and another for a really unusual experience.

19. I believe Love is the answer. I am pretty certain that for most problems, at least where people are concerned, love is the answer. We learn early on that we are to love our neighbors and do unto others.. but to really internalize this so that is IS our nature and not just a platitude is altogether more challenging. (not that scripture is a platitude.. but I think sometimes it gets reduced to just a saying. Its simplicity is downplayed. If we would embrace and truly LOVE our neighbors and DO unto others many wrongs would be righted. ) Love is the answer. Love more.Give more.

Still with me?? You are loyal friends!

20. I was incredibly fertile and I had really EASY labors. I can pop out a baby like nobody's business. Bekah was my longest labor. While I did have some mild pain with early labor it was certainly bearable. I won't tell the whole long story but from the first "hard crunching pain" until she was born was about two hours. With the other three I had NO pains in early labor and didn't feel anything until transition. (I could tell I was having contractions but they didn't hurt at all..) Katie was almost an hour. Noah was about 45 minutes. Caleb was about an hour. I go quick.
I was induced with the boys and even on petocin didn't have any pain until transition. So.. no epidurals for me. Just hard, quick labors. The nurse delivered Katie because she was born in the very early morning and the doctor didn't even have time to get there.

21. I can tie a cherry stem in a knot in my mouth. (no hands) Not a skill I will ever have to use and why I ever tried in the first place??? But there you go.

22. I danced the polka at my wedding. My grandparents once had a polka band. My grandpa played his accordian at our wedding and we danced. They also sang the Daddy's dance song in Germand and English. It is all about how I am grown up now.. but I still love you Daddy. Dad and I both cried.. and danced!

23. I love musicals. I think I have shared this love with my kiddos and now they love them too.

24. I am not a great housekeeper. I do know how to clean and I DO clean... just not often enough. I have too much other stuff I like to do (read and craft) and so.. I clean some... and then do other things (blog). So... if you stop by.. the house may be clean.. or just as likely.. not. Still.. I will push the (crap) out of the way and welcome you in! Love me.. love my mess.. or at least don't mind it too much! You are always welcome at Karptown.

25... Oh my goodness this has been hard. The 25th thing about me???

I believe. I believe that God so loves us that He sent His Son who died on a cross for our sins.
I believe that our time on earth is all a journey back to HIM. We are here to learn. We are here to love. We are here to humble ourselves and serve one another. It isn't always easy. I fail in so many ways everyday and God still loves me. God loves each one of us and made us all unique and precious and wonderful. He has shared in all of our "25 things".

So.. there you go. More than you wanted or needed to know.. but I did it. Whew!
Now I have chores to finish and kids who want the computer.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Love them all!!
14- It's a struggle of mine, too. Lately I've been thinking over and over about this 6 months worth of supplies I'm supposed to have on hand. How? How can I do that?? I went to bed obsessing about that last night.
15. I could use a bit of this, as I often leave the stove on or candles burning and totally forget!! Better that you are safe rather than sorry! :-)
16. yuck. It's okay, we can still be friends. Just pop a breath mint before we meet. ;-)
WOW on #20. I thought I had easy labors, but it wasn't like this at all!
21 and 22-- hahahaa! Neat!
And last but not least, 25 is the BEST!
Thanks for taking the time to finish it-- I love learning more about you.

Joyous said...

I can tie a cherry stem too!

I love learning about other people's OCD. So fun.

You know, it doesn't help my obsessiveness at all that you didn't even say if you were offended or not...*glare* I read it again and seemed fine but for some reason Sat. night I went to bed obsessed about it. I'm letting it go.

Worrying in some cases may be a lack of faith but not always. We're moms remember and there's a lot of justified worrying that comes from that!

Thanks for finishing your list!

Milk & Cookie Party said...

Glad you finished them. I don't recall you being OCD in high school. You hide your worry well. I agree with your Mom on that, but the mind is a fascinating thing. Enjoyed all your revealing notations.

Love you!

Lynn said...

Yes you are a bit OCD, but I love you anyway. And you do worry waaaay too much. I hope you can relax and let go a little more. Your headaches will go too!!! I love you so much I wish I could wave my magic wand and make everything perfect for you. Or last what you think is perfect. Actually it's pretty good right now, don't you think? Love you. When I grow up, I want to be as smart as you......Love mama