Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Guilty Pleasures

I am addicted.. I admit it. There was a time when I wouldn't even allow it in my house. My children were too young and I just didn't want it here... I didn't have time, but then, well....

Intrigued? I am talking about Grey's Anatomy. When it first came out, my children were younger and I didn't want to have it on in my house. I didn't watch it the first two seasons, but then they switched to 9:00 on Sunday nights and that was a little more doable. My friend Ann was a fan and so I checked it out. I became hooked. I even got seasons one and two for my birthday one year so I could catch up.

Now... I never really watched soap operas. A few girls watched Ryan's Hope or something when I was in college. It just wasn't my thing. I did watch All my Children with my Mom EONS ago... but really... nothing for the past 25 years. But I fell hard. I watched, I read the blog. I like the way that the patients ailments tie into the personal lives of the characters somehow. I know it is WAY out there and extreme, but still.. I watched. Then, Shonda Rimes didn't let Mer and Der get together and I staged a one woman boycott. I quit cold turkey and didn't watch at all. (Surely she could feel my wrath all the way in Hollywood??) Perhaps no, but I was done.

Then my mom would call and ask did I watch? No! "But," she said, " I hear that Meredith and Derek are definitely going to get together." So... I did my research, I read the spoilers and the promises were indeed made. I watched back episodes online and caught up in time for the season finally last year. Wahoo.... I'm back.

I am not able to watch in real time and I still don't really want it on in my house. I realize that if I can't watch it in front of my kids I probably shouldn't watch it... but this is a confession so.. just know... I know. I do enjoy it though. Their drama is so over the top. It is so far from my life...
but McDreamy is pretty cute!

I watch it late at night on the internet... just me basking in the warm glow of my computer... watching it all unfold. Then I check out the writers blog... checking their insight into the latest episode. I am hooked.

Oh... the guilty pleasure...

5 comments:

Jerri Dalrymple said...

I'm laughing with you and not at you, dear. I have all the exact same issues. The first season my husband watched a couple episodes and I was aghast! I would always go to bed early and read or something. Well, second season....um, hooked! And, no, I would never let me kids watch it, and yes, I've felt and thought the exact same as you..."If I wouldn't let my kids watch it, I shouldn't be watching it."
I was a General Hospital fan for a few years....like, 10 probably off and on. =)

Lynn said...

HA! As you know I've ALWAYS watched it, and it is so nice we can discuss the plot and characters now! I love it. Now, if I could just get you to watch Desparate Housewives!!! :-)

Milk & Cookie Party said...

The really handsome doctor with flaws is incredibly addictive. Currently, we tivo it and then I can play it back. Which works out really well because i can fast forward through some plot lines that I don't want to know about. David is addicted to Live on Mars and we tivo that too. It's a take off a BBC series and he's read up on that like you do with Grey's. A few guilty pleasures are ok, in my opinion. I do remember your boycott and that gave me quite a giggle that year. I'm sure Shonda felt your wrath as others felt the same way. She's a true fan abuser!

Joyous said...

I've watched a few Grey's because our exchange student said she liked it but I'm not addicted. Meredith drives me crazy. I hate her voice-overs and her whiny crappy attitude. She needs to get over herself already.

My confession: I am addicted to Boston Legal. I can't get enough of that freakin' show. My mom has been telling me I needed to watch it for some time but I just didn't listen to her...until now. I record every re-run I can find and then Ingrid and I and a reluctant (or so he pretends) hubby watch it after the kids go to bed. Ah, never have I watched a show that's made me laugh out loud almost every episode. :) It's another one the kids can't watch but it's soooo good.

Trish said...

Don't worry...I won't tell anyone.