Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Oh to be a princess....

I have spent the most delicious day READING. The kids entertained themselves, the dishes went undone and I read The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory. I just finished The Constant Princess also by Philippa Gregory and I am hooked on her books.

I was looking for a little fluff to end the summer with. I thought perhaps a little historical romance.
What I found are books that are well written and extremely well researched. Certainly they ARE fiction, but they are definitely based on actual people and events and Ms. Gregory does her best to be as accurate as possible.

We just finished reading about Henry VIII in school and so I find these books most interesting. They are very detailed and are very plausible as to the character development.
What fun.

I DID take a little break and worked on some logic with the kids. We are to study logic this year and we started today by solving a mystery. I bought a book called one-hour mysteries. It provides clues and logic puzzles that you must analyze and work through in order to "solve" the mystery. It did indeed take us just a little over an hour.. and would have taken less if I would have had all of the copies run beforehand. I think the kids enjoyed it. I know I did. I look forward to working on more of these type of problems with them. A lot of deductive reasoning.
Katie and Noah enjoy this especially, although Bekah was a most willing participant.

Okay, it is extremely late and I must go to bed. Tomorrow I must actually do something USEFUL, although I DO have the next book... The Boleyn Inheritance. It all started when I told myself I could read while I walked in the morning (on my eliptical machine). I did... but then I never put the book down. I shall try again tomorrow... but only while I walk.

Do you believe I can do it? Or rather not do it?? (read all day) We shall see.

5 comments:

Joyous said...

Thanks for the chat today! How's Mere Christianity coming?

Milk & Cookie Party said...

I'm inspired! Reading and walking. I'll only train for a marathon if I can figure out how to sew or read and run! Love the book reveiw too. I'm reading a lot more and sewing less these days. Tim Green is my author of choice- David thinks fiction is a waste of time, but I think it's fascinating. Other peoples' minds are very interesting places.

Miss and love you. Measurements?

Milk & Cookie Party said...

Look at you and your tunes!!! Love it!

Milk & Cookie Party said...

Love the walk down the 80's way, Friend. I had forgotten most of those songs but it would be you that brings them to mind! How cool are you!

Lynn said...

Hi---Your book reviews are SO better than mine. Your articulation is superb!! Mine is (alas) NOT. Of course you are about 20 IQ points ahead of me, and that should count for something! HA! Glad you liked the book. You will like the other 2 I recommended also!! :} xo