Thursday, August 14, 2008

Books

Okay... the joke around our house is that Brian is going to make me a bed. See, we had a headboard way back in Florida about 9 years ago. We didn't love it and the mattress we had was so hard it was HORRIBLE, so when we moved we didn't bring it with us. When we got into our little house on Holly Street we went down and bought new mattresses and box springs and a frame but no headboard. What does this have to do with books?? Keep reading.

So.. I, of course, would like a headboard for my bed. My dear, darling husband replies,"I can make you one." First he cut down a tree. (no joke) Then he milled the tree into boards with the milling attachment on his chainsaw. Next he stacked the boards in our garage to "dry". They have been there for at least two years.

Here's the deal (you've been waiting right?). I no longer want the bed. I want more bookshelves.
I already sleep well at night. The bed won't really feel that different with a headboard (okay, I would love for my pillow not to fall of the top but after nine years, you adapt.) What I have decided I really want is more bookshelves for my piles of books. One on each side of the bed.
I can even put one of those little swivel reading lamps on the side.

I have been cleaning out my classroom all week trying to get ready for school. We have TONS of books. I said I would clean out and get rid of them. I did part with a few. But we are readers and we love books. I suppose at some point I won't need more bookshelves. I can't imagine it, but I guess it could be so. The girls asked what I would do with the classroom when they all went to college... I can't really say. Perhaps by then one of them will want to live down there in the "apartment". I don't know. I suppose I will eventually part with all of the curriculum.. but not the classics. Not the friends I have back there on the shelves. I hope to read and reread everything I currently own and of course there are so many more out there. I don't have enough hours for all of the books I want to read.

So... I have told Brian to skip the headboard and make more shelves. He of course embraces ANY wordworking project (at least in theory). But I believe we already have the wood for this one!

2 comments:

Milk & Cookie Party said...

Love the bookcase idea. You can mask the lack of a headboard pretty easily. But bookcases are priceless. David does not posess such skills and I know you count your man's handyman skills as a blessing. We are book "collectors" too. Tried to sell a few paperbacks to the local used bookstore and they were going to give me a quarter for them! A quarter!!!! So, of course, they had to come home with me.

Love you!

Lynn said...

OK---You DESERVE a headboard, and after Dad builds my craft table, I'll see what I can do to get him to help along the headboard problem, and finish your windows!! Love Ya