Thursday, February 07, 2008

Things I am Thankful For

1. Dylan got moved into a different class that will better meet his needs and I didn't have to make a fuss. (James didn't either.)
2. My friend Trish.
3. Stamping with my Mom.
4. The cabbage salad recipe from Aunt Louise.
5. My brother playing his guitar for me.
6. Sammi who brings movies and books just cause she knows we are sick.
7. blogging
8. Hugs and kisses from ALL 7 children in my house.
9. I actually exercised for 15 minutes. It isn't a lot... but it IS a start.
10. I got to play with Spiderman today.


Today was an interesting day. The girls are both sick. They have this fever virus that also comes with a sore throat. They are fairly miserable. Noah was the only one who went to play practice.
I am doing a lot of cooking and dishes. Still, as you can see, I am very blessed.

Mom and I are trying hard to adapt an attitude of abundance and gratitude. So I will try to actually jot down some concrete "things" I am grateful for. Once you get started... it is really contagious. Radical gratitude. Being truly grateful for your life. Choosing joy and being a yellow chair.

The story of the yellow chair. Thomas Kincade wrote a book about joy that I only started to read. By now I have distorted the story that I did read, but it goes something like this. If you have a yellow chair sitting on your porch, it IS a yellow chair. In different light it may look white or orange depending on the sun and shadow but it still IS a yellow chair.
We can CHOOSE happiness. Even when bad things happen to us... that may effect our circumstances etc... we can STILL choose JOY. We don't have to let circumstances color us or our attitudes.

I always tell my kids... I choose to be a yellow chair. When the kids want to cheer me up... they draw me pictures of a yellow chair. I don't have one yet... but I may paint one very soon.
A visible reminder that JOY can be a conscious choice. Like gratitude.

Whatever life if throwing your way... I hope you have a yellow chair to sit in.
Know that I am thankful for YOU.




3 comments:

Lynn said...

I think every picture you posted of me I have on that coral shirt. Guess I can't wear that anymore... ha-ha. Yes Today was a great day, and I do feel "abundantly blessed." It was so fun at Trish's and I'm so glad we got to spend some time with her afterwards. I really like her. Tomorrow will be another great day, full of God's Blessings for us. I loved your list. Really cool.

Loveandadoor said...

WEll.. the picture of you and Bek and the one of you and Caleb were both taken on the same day... as the one you have posted on your blog too... all the same day... same shirt.
oh well.... we'll just have to take more pictures.

=)

Milk & Cookie Party said...

Very nice blog, Friend. Have you avoided the sickness? Since we've had it ALL, I feel that i could come and help you out without getting anything. You know that false sense of security of paying your "health" dues. But your house is overflowing with love, abundance, and people!!!

Love you!